Evelyn Smith, John’s wife, prepared this salad for the first annual Codger Lodge picnic. It was well received.
CORN BREAD SALAD
1. Bake 2 boxes of Jiffy Cornbread Mix according to the directions on the box.
2. Cool and crumble, layer in bottom of casserole dish
3. Warm and drain 2 cans of Lucks Pinto, Navy, or Great Northern Beans; layer on top of the cornbread
4. Mix 1 cup of mayonnaise + or – (according to taste) and ¼ cup sweet pickle juice, pour over bean layer
5. Dice onions, green peppers, celery, and tomatoes; layer over mayonnaise mixture
6. Garnish top with bacon bits and refrigerate. DO NOT MIX.